What is Seasonal Flu
- Is a contagious, respiratory illness caused by a virus.
- Is preventable with a vaccine.
- Can cause severe respiratory problems or pneumonia
- Can cause mild to severe illness, even death.
- The symptoms for the common cold and seasonal flu are similar.
- 5 to 20 percent of the population get the flu in any given year.
- Causes about 36,000 deaths and about 200,000 hospitalizations per year in the US
- Flu outbreaks in the US last from the fall through early spring.
Seasonal Flu Symptoms:
- Fever, usually over 100F
- Extreme tiredness or weakness
- Sore throat
- Muscle & body aches
- Dry cough
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
Those at high risk for Flu-related complications or live/work with those at high risk include:
- Pregnant women
- Children < 5 years old, especially < 2 years old
- Adults over 50 years old
- People with chronic medical conditions
- People living in nursing or long-term homes
- Those who care for people at high-risk
- Health care workers
- Caregivers of children less than 6 months old
The Bernards Township Health Department is a Contractual Health Agency serving: Bernards Township, Bernardsville Borough, Chester Borough,
Long Hill Township, Mendham Borough, Peapack and Gladstone Borough.