ALL Bernards Township dogs and cats must be licensed yearly, as per NJ statue 4:19-15.2a and Bernards Township Ordinance BH:10-5.2. All dog and cat licenses expire on January 31st of each year and must be renewed.
The licensing of animals is an important aspect of rabies and animal control.
In order to receive a Bernards Township dog or cat license:
PLEASE COMPLETE AN APPLICATION (see below) AND PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING:
- PROOF OF RABIES VACCINATION - available from your vet (if rabies vaccination was given through Bernards Township Clinic, we will have it on record). If your dog/cat’s rabies vaccination expires before the end of the new license year, you will need to have the animal revaccinated prior to getting a new license. The pet owner must supply a rabies vaccination certificate signed by a licensed veterinarian indicating that the animal’s duration of immunity extends throughout at least the first 10 months of the licensing period. Animals with a duration of immunity which expires prior to the 10 month cut off point will need a booster prior to licensure.
- PROOF OF ALTERATION - this is available from your veterinarian; once presented, proof is not needed again.
- A SELF-ADDRESSED STAMPED ENVELOPE
- PAYMENT DUE BY JANUARY 31
- Cat: $10.00, plus $3.00 extra if the cat is not altered (spayed or neutered).
- As of March 1st a late fee of $5.00 will be charged. (Ordinance BH:69 )
- Dog: $21.00, plus $3.00 extra if the dog is not altered (spayed or neutered).
- As of March 1st a late fee of $10.00 will be charged. (Ordinance 5-2.7)
* ONE APPLICATION PER ANIMAL.
License applications may be completed in-person or mail to the Bernards Township Health Department with proof of rabies vaccination and alteration.
Failure to license your pet will result in a:
- Late fee being assessed as of March 1st each year.
- Citation being issued until your pet is licensed.